CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 1, 2009

Remembering a Dear Friend

Today was quite possibly one of the most difficult things that many of us have faced.............a funeral of one of our own. Now I don't know if I am just odd or if this applies to everyone, but death really bothers me. I am not comfortable with the idea of mortality. I have been fortunate during my life to only have dealt with death in the form of the elderly........until today.

We have all known and loved Nathan Vincent for years, but that love was more than apparent today. As Jeremy and I pulled into the parking lot at Hardy and Sons that was overflowing, I immediatley choked up. When we walked into the funeral home we were greeted with a video of photos of Nathan's life. It broke my heart. For the first several minutes of our visit I battled me emotions trying to be strong and not cry...........but the saddness won and the tears fell. Then I was able to take in all that was around me.

I looked around and saw many of the people we had gone to school with...........many of us from different circles and interests.......but that had the friendship of Nathan in common. I looked around and saw older people there to support Nathan's family. I saw the heart break of Nathan's mother, Cherri as she patted her oldest son in the casket in front of us. It made my stomach ache and my heart hurt. But once I got past the pain I was able to see that the room we were all standing in was filled with love.

Love for our friend who always treated us all like we were special to him. Love from spouses and friends who came to give their support for someone they didn't know well, but that we loved. And people also showed love for each other. We hugged and told each other to be careful and promised to keep in touch......because we love each other.

Now usually in my blogs I try to be sassy and smart, but this is not a post that sassy is appropriate for. This is simply a reflection of a difficult day and the things I brought away from it.

We are mortal. We may only be 29, but it can all change so fast. We need to live each day as if it were our last. We need to live right. We need to love those around us. We need to be good to those we know and to complete strangers. We need to focus on the important things in life and forget the stress we put on ourselves with mortgages and car payments. We need to enjoy the time we have here and pray that when our time comes.............when our last day on earth is here..........that we had been as loving and kind as Nathan has to all of us so that we are remembered in cherished memories like Nathan is remembered by each of us.

1 comments:

Heather said...

I totally agree. You hear of these things on the news all the time from every age, but it really hits home when it's someone you really know. I haven't seen Nathan in a couple of years, but he always treated me with kindness, no matter when or where it was. Moments like these really make you want to hold your loved ones even closer and not take anything for granted.